Gamers, I don’t know about you but one of the most agitating things I experience while streaming online are uninvited guests who randomly pop into my Discord voice chat. And I really can’t say randomly because most of the time, it’s the exact same people doing it over and over again, trying to join your game or raid your channel.
It’s not about showing love or how much I appreciate the people who follow my page. It’s a simple matter of respect – or lack thereof – and just to be honest, it’s pretty f*cking irritating.
A friend of mine recently sent a message and asked how to set up a private Discord voice chat because, and I quote, “someone jumped in and played their music non-stop.” I mean, really? Who does that? I hope your server gets flooded with hackers who destroy everything you try to do in Call of Duty: Warzone.
Ok, not really but kinda.
Not to worry, my friend. MikeRock is here and the following guide is a quick and easy way to protect the privacy of your gaming channel.
How To Create a Private Channel for Discord Voice Chat
*These instructions were specifically made for desktops but should work similar for the Discord app on your phones.
- Open Discord – Click or Double Click on the Discord app in the Windows menu (PC) or Application folder (Mac). Alternatively, you can also access Discord from your browser by visiting https://discord.com/app.
- Click on Settings for the Discord Voice Chat channel that you wish to make private – Hover over the Discord Voice Chat channel. To the right of the channel name, you will see two icons. Click on the gear icon for settings.
- Click Permissions – On the left hand side of the page.
- Select @everyone underneath Roles/Members. Ignore this step is @everyone is already selected.
- Click the Red “X” next to all permissions.
- Click the “+” next to the Roles/Members header – This opens a list of server members.
- Click Members you would like to add to your channel.
- Select Permissions for select members by clicking on the green check mark next to each permission you would like to grant.
- Click “Save Changes” at the bottom. You will have to repeat this step for each individual member in order to add them to your new private channel.
** You must have a server administrator or have appropriate permissions to make the channel private.
My Discord Voice Chat Channel Permissions
If you have no idea what permissions you want to set for your guests, here are the permissions I grant to invited members of my game channel. Red stands for no or “x”. Green stands for yes or “check mark”.
- Create Invite – Red
- Manage Channel – Red
- Manage Permissions – Red
- Manage Webhooks – Red
- View Channel – Green
- Connect – Green
- Speak – Green
- Video – Red
- Mute Members – Red
- Deafen Members – Red
- Move Members – Red
- Use Voice Activity – Green
- Priority Speaker – Red
Ok, there you go. If you have any problems creating a private Discord voice chat channel, please don’t hesitate to contact me – email@example.com.
And with that, I am gone. Take care!
P.S. – If I have helped you in any way, please “Like” or “Follow” any of my pages. Donations, although not required, are always appreciated too.